Monday, September 22, 2014

Record Keeping

Mostly to say that today I treated the hive again with powdered sugar, as I'm still waiting on the beekeeping supply place to ship my mite control strips. *sighs*

I also put all the uncapped honey into the sugar syrup feeder I usually put on near this time of the year, and fed it back to the colony. I don't make mead, I don't really use honey quickly enough to use all the uncapped stuff I got out of the super, but I had to take the super off in order for the colony to fill its brood box. This way the girls will still get the benefit of their labor. It was actually pretty close to the density of honey, so I don't feel like it's feeding them something watered down that will bring on dysentery. And it was nearly five pounds of the stuff, so it'll just help them that much more for the winter.

Also pulling and replacing the sticky board which has a pretty large number of mites, so any treatment won't hurt.

Oh! And I got another half a gallon from the very last harvest. I wasn't expecting much, so it was nice to just see what I could get.

No comments:

Post a Comment