Friday, April 19, 2013

Starting a Beekeeping Blog...

I've decided to start a beekeeping blog, mostly because I've been blogging since 1997 and beekeepers really  do try to keep track of what they do and when they do it in order to know what happened before in order to make informed decisions about what to do in the future. I figured I might as well take advantage of technology that I'm well familiar with and do what I have to do anyway. I'll probably be posting links from this blog to my G++ and other social media.

I have one good friend who's now into beekeeping, and I loved what he said, in the days before I got my first package: "These are like any other girls. Treat them nice, and they're very sweet. Abuse them, and they turn vicious. Abuse just one, and she tells her friends to attack." -- Kenneth Adelman

I intend to inspect the hive on a regular basis, and actually manage and husband my little ladies instead of just letting them go their merry way and not do the maintenance and upkeep and I am likely to have to deal with mites and other problems along the way.

I am starting this hive mainly because I've watched the decline in numbers of the Boulder County Beekeepers' Association, and in the numbers of the hives and swarms being reported here on a regular basis, it's been depressing, and I wanted to do something and finally got the time and energy back to do it. So... here it is...

And I'll try to do less justification and more actual hands-on blogging about what I'm doing and how I'm doing it and the consequences thereby. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment